Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

Egypt to Take Legal Action against Rumor Promoters

Egypt to Take Legal Action against Rumor Promoters

Wednesday, 11 March, 2020 - 10:15
Egyptian Minster of Health Hala Zayed (R) speaks during a press conference to give updates about the coronavirus cases in Luxor and Aswan, in Cairo, Egypt, March 10, 2020. Coronavirus cases in Egypt have now jumped over 50 according to latest reports. EPA
Cairo - Asharq Al-Awsat

The Egyptian government has announced legal measures against everyone who spread false news or rumors related to the coronavirus or any other matter.


Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli said Tuesday that action will be taken against all who spread rumors with the intentions of doing public harm.


Egyptian government spokesperson Nader Saad said that the effort is in line with the government’s plan to combat the coronavirus.


Recently, rumors and false information have been circulated on social media.


“Citizens should not circulate any data or information not issued by official authorities. Fact-checking is important in order to avoid being subject to legal accountability,” Saad said.


He confirmed that leniency will not be shown to those who spread false news, adding that the Health Ministry is publishing all official material on the virus.


During a Tuesday phone-in with the “Kol Youm” (Every Day) talk show on ONE satellite channel, Health Minister Hala Zayed explained that 59 coronavirus cases have been confirmed inside Egypt, of which 51 showed no symptoms.


"So far, Egypt detected 59 COVID-19 cases and 51 of them had no symptoms. They were discovered through the precautionary measures and tests conducted on those on board the Nile cruise boat or those communicating with them," the minister said.


She pointed out that compared to other countries in the region, Egypt still maintains a low number of virus cases.


The minister noted that her ministry randomly tested 558 people, half of whom are foreigners, on Nile cruise boats and hotels in Upper Egypt's provinces of Luxor and Aswan.


"The results showed that they all tested negative for the virus," Zayed told the press conference.


The Health Minister described Egypt's precautionary measures for combating the virus as "strong."


Zayed clarified that there’s still no need to shut down schools in Egypt.


She asserted that her ministry was following the World Health Organization’s (WHO) protocol in handling coronavirus cases in Egypt.


Editor Picks

Multimedia