Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

ISIS Claims Attack that Killed Dozens in Mozambique

ISIS Claims Attack that Killed Dozens in Mozambique

Wednesday, 25 March, 2020 - 06:30
A general view shows destruction after Cyclone Idai in Beira, Mozambique, March 16-17, 2019 in this still image taken from a social media video on March 19, 2019. Care International/Josh Estey via REUTERS
Asharq Al-Awsat

ISIS terrorist group has claimed responsibility for an attack in northern Mozambique just south of the site of gas projects worth $60 billion being developed by the likes of Exxon Mobil and Total.


ISIS said in a statement on its official news agency that it killed and injured dozens of soldiers and police officers.


Government spokesman Filimao Suaze said the retreating attackers had left a “trail of destruction and dead bodies”, and that security had been beefed up in the area.


Earlier on Mondat, insurgents attacked the town of Mocimboa da Praia and occupied some areas before being pushed out on Tuesday, Mozambique authorities and security analysts said.


Mocimboa da Praia, 60 kilometers (37 miles) south of the gas projects, previously served as the main airport for international workers flying into the developments and its port is used for cargo deliveries, Reuters reported.


“For almost three years, armed groups have been attacking villagers around Cabo Delgado, causing untold human suffering without being held accountable.,” said Muleya Mwananyanda, rights group Amnesty’s deputy director for east and southern Africa.


In 2010, Mozambique discovered huge gas reserves in Rovuma Basin, off the Indian Ocean coast of Cabo Delgado.


Last October, ExxonMobil unveiled plans to invest more than $500m in the initial construction phase of its gas project in the region.


Editor Picks

Multimedia