UAE Reports 1st Two Deaths from COVID-19
The Health Ministry of the United Arab Emirates on Friday reported the first two deaths from coronavirus in the country.
Abu Dhabi has reported 140 infections so far, of whom 31 have recovered.
"The Ministry of Health and Prevention has announced the first two deaths caused by the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, in the country," the Emirates News Agency reported.
One of the individuals was a 78-year old Arab national who had arrived in the country from Europe.
"The cause of death was a heart attack, coinciding with complications from the coronavirus disease," the news agency quoted the ministry as saying.
The other individual, a 58-year-old Asian national and resident of the UAE, had prior chronic illnesses –- heart disease and kidney failure.
Like other countries around the world, the UAE has introduced restrictions on passenger arrivals.
On Saturday, it said it was shutting beaches, parks, pools, cinemas and gyms from Sunday for two weeks over coronavirus concerns, the state news agency WAM said on Saturday.
Restaurants and cafes will be allowed to operate for the same period at 20 percent of capacity, and as long as customers are at least two meters apart, and for delivery services, subject to review.
More than 1,300 coronavirus infections have been detected in the Gulf region, with most cases initially identified among travelers returning from Iran which is one of the world's worst affected countries.
The UAE suspended entry of citizens of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states until the approval of the pre-examination mechanism, starting at midnight today, WAM said on Friday quoting the foreign ministry.