UN Says Libya Talks Resume in Geneva
Libya's warring sides have resumed talks in Geneva aimed at brokering a lasting ceasefire in the country, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya said Thursday.
"The talks are underway again," Jean El-Alam, spokesman for UNSMIL, told Agence France Presse, days after the head of the Government of National Accord, Fayez al-Sarraj, announced the GNA was halting its participation.
UN Libya envoy Ghassan Salame launched a second round of military talks on Tuesday with five senior officers from the GNA and five negotiators representing Libyan National Army (LNA) commander Khalifa Haftar.
The GNA then pulled out of the process after a barrage of rockets hit a port in the capital Tripoli.
The first round of military talks ended with no result earlier this month but Salame said there was "more hope" this time, mainly because of the approval of a UN Security Council resolution calling for a "lasting ceasefire".