Warnings from West Bank, Gaza Flare up over Deal of Century
Former Mossad head Major General Danny Yatom warned on Sunday of a possible flare-up in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip over Israeli right-wing settlement plans and the annexation of territories through Washington’s approval.
“Israel had to learn from its past mistakes when taking unilateral steps. We committed such mistakes when we withdrew from the Gaza Strip, 15 years ago, without coordinating with the Palestinian leadership. Since then, we are paying the price of this mistake,” Yatom told a local radio.
What if this time, we plan to take steps to annex their territories?” he asked.
The Israeli army has been placed on high alert in the West Bank in anticipation of confrontations and operations that might occur after the US administration announces the Deal of the Century, President Donald Trump’s Middle East peace plan.
Israeli Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi canceled a symposium on operational and combat systems upgrades that was to have been attended by all army brigadier generals.
The military Central Command has already deployed six battalions to Judea and Samaria, Army radio said Sunday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu headed to Washington, where Trump was expected to release the peace plan before Tuesday.
The Israeli TV channel said earlier that the deal recognizes full Israeli sovereignty over Jerusalem, annexing all Israeli settlements in the West Bank, and canceling the right of return of Palestinian refugees.
The Palestinians have already announced their rejection to the plan.
On Sunday, the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) said it reserves the right to withdraw from the Oslo agreements, which regulate relations between the Palestinian Authority and Israel, if Trump releases his plan, AFP reported, citing Saeb Erekat.
He is a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council and former Palestinian representative in the talks on the Oslo Accords.