Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

Evidence Indicates Iranian Arms Used in Saudi Attack, Says Arab Coalition

Evidence Indicates Iranian Arms Used in Saudi Attack, Says Arab Coalition

Monday, 16 September, 2019 - 17:00
Arab coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Maliki. (Reuters)
Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi-led Arab coalition said on Monday that the attack on Saudi Arabian oil plants was carried out with Iranian weapons and was not launched from Yemen according to preliminary findings.

Coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Maliki said that an investigation into Saturday’s strikes, which had been claimed by the Iran-aligned Houthi militia, was still going on to determine the launch location.

“The preliminary results show that the weapons are Iranian and we are currently working to determine the location ... The terrorist attack did not originate from Yemen as the Houthi militia claimed,” Maliki told a press conference in Riyadh.

He slammed the Houthis as "a tool in the hands of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and the terrorist regime of Iran".

He said authorities would reveal the location from where drones were launched at a future press briefing.

Malki said the Kingdom, the world’s top oil exporter, was capable of protecting vital energy and economic sites.

“This cowardly act largely targets the global economy and not Saudi Arabia.”

Last week’s strikes on Abqaiq -- the world's largest oil processing facility -- and the Khurais oil field in eastern Saudi Arabia have roiled global energy markets sending prices spiking Monday.

Washington has blamed Iran for the attack.

On Monday, US Secretary of Energy Rick Perry said: “The United States wholeheartedly condemns Iran’s attack on Saudi Arabia and we call on other nations to do the same.”

In an address to the International Atomic Energy Agency's general conference in Vienna, he said "this behavior is unacceptable" and that Iran "must be held responsible."

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also said there was no evidence the attack came from Yemen.

“Amid all the calls for de-escalation, Iran has now launched an unprecedented attack on the world’s energy supply,” Pompeo said.

Editor Picks

Multimedia