Pompeo: US Does Not Want War with Iran

Sunday, 16 June, 2019 - 16:45
Asharq Al-Awsat

While it is "unmistakable" that Iran was responsible for the attacks on two tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week, Washington does not want to go to war with Tehran, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday.

In an interview with "Fox News Sunday", Pompeo said, "President (Donald) Trump has done everything he can to avoid war. We don't want war." But he added that the US will guarantee free navigation through vital shipping areas.

"The United States is going to make sure that we take all the actions necessary, diplomatic and otherwise that achieve that outcome," Pompeo said.

US-Iran tensions are high following accusations by the Trump administration that Tehran carried out attacks last Thursday on the two oil tankers.

"The intelligence community has lots of data, lots of evidence. The world will come to see much of it," said Pompeo, who headed the Central Intelligence Agency before becoming secretary of state.

Pompeo said he did not want to discuss possible next steps the United States might take in response to last week's developments.

"Iran will not get a nuke weapon. That's the goal," he said when asked about the possibility of Trump sending more American troops and military hardware to the region.

"I made a number of calls to colleagues around the world yesterday. I am confident that we will have partners that understand this threat," Pompeo said.

Read More ...