Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

53 Life Sentences to Turkish Car Bomb Planner

53 Life Sentences to Turkish Car Bomb Planner

Monday, 13 May, 2019 - 11:45
FILE PHOTO: Rescue workers on one of the scenes of the twin car bomb attacks in the town of Reyhanli near Turkey's border with Syria, May 12, 2013. Reuters
Asharq Al-Awsat
A Turkish court on Monday handed down 53 life sentences without parole to a man who authorities said planned a deadly bomb attack in 2013 in a town bordering Syria, state-owned Anadolu agency said.

Twin car bombs ripped through Reyhanli in Hatay province on May 11, 2013. At the time, Turkey accused a group loyal to the head of the Syrian regime, Bashar al-Assad, of carrying out the attacks. Damascus denied any involvement.

Yusuf Nazik, a 34-year-old Turkish national, was sentenced to one count of life in jail without parole for disrupting the unity of the state and 52 counts for killing 52 people, Anadolu said.

He was also sentenced to an additional 5,306 years and six months for various other crimes including the attempted murder of 130 people, being a member of an armed terrorist organization and keeping unauthorized explosives for terrorist organization activities, it said.

Nazik was captured inside Syria, in the regime-controlled region of Latakia, by members of the Turkish Intelligence Agency (MIT), a Turkish security official said last September.

Anadolu reported at the time that Nazik had confessed to receiving orders from Syrian intelligence to plan the attack in Turkey and having arranged the transport of explosives.

Twenty-two people had already been jailed earlier last year in connection with the bombing.

Editor Picks

Multimedia