Iran Announces Second Failed Satellite Launch

Saturday, 16 February, 2019 - 09:00
Asharq Al-Awsat

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif revealed Friday that his country failed again to launch a satellite into space.

Speaking to NBC News, he said that it was the second failed attempt in the past two months.

Despite both failures, Zarif’s confirmation is likely to raise tensions with the United States, which is concerned the long-range ballistic technology used to send satellites into space could also be used to launch warheads.

Tehran has denied that the space vehicle launches and missile tests violated a UN Security Council resolution.

Last month, Iran said a satellite it tried to launch did not reach adequate speed and failed. Iran’s telecommunications ministry said at the time that the satellite, named Payam, was intended to be used for imaging and communications purposes for about three years.

That launch drew condemnation from France, saying Tehran’s ballistic missile program was a cause for concern for Paris and the international community.

Read More ...