Deadly Suicide Attack on Kurdish-US Convoy in Hasakeh

Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 11:30
Asharq Al-Awsat

A suicide car bomb attack on a military convoy in the northeastern Syrian province of Hasakeh Monday killed five members of a Kurdish-led force accompanying US-led coalition troops, a monitor said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said five fighters from the Kurdish-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces were killed in the attack.

President Donald Trump announced last month that he planned to speedily withdraw US troops from Syria, but has since said it does not need to go quickly as he tries to ensure safety of Kurdish allies in northern Syria who are at risk of attack from neighboring Turkey.

Last Wednesday, 19 people, including four Americans, were killed in an attack on a grill house in the central market of the flashpoint northern town of Manbij.

The suicide bombing, claimed by ISIS, was the deadliest to hit US troops since they deployed to Syria in 2014.

The four Americans killed in the blast were two soldiers, a civilian defense department employee and a Pentagon subcontractor.

Read More ...