Pompeo: No Evidence Linking Saudi Crown Prince to Khashoggi Case

Pompeo: No Evidence Linking Saudi Crown Prince to Khashoggi Case

Saturday, 1 December, 2018 - 20:15
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. (AFP)
Asharq Al-Awsat
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declared Saturday that intelligence information has not found any evidence linking Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the murder of Saudi citizen Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul in October.

He said that he as seen all the intelligence possessed by the United States on the killing and repeated that no direct evidence links Crown Prince Mohammed to the incident.

"I have read every piece of intelligence that is in the possession of United States government," Pompeo said in an interview with broadcaster CNN in Buenos Aires on the sidelines of the G20 summit.

"When it is done, when you complete that analysis, there's no direct evidence linking him to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi. That is an accurate statement, an important statement and it is a statement that we are making publicly today," he said, according to Reuters.

Riyadh said Khashoggi had been killed when negotiations to persuade him to return to Saudi Arabia failed.

The team tasked with returning him violated orders and killed him and several suspects have since been detained.

Pompeo said the United States was working with Saudi Arabia in Afghanistan and against Iran and that Riyadh was "an enormous support" for Washington.

"They're a relationship that has mattered for 70 years across Republican and Democrat administrations like ... We're aiming to keep that relationship," he said.

Editor Picks

Multimedia