Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, Airforce Stage Large-Scale Wargames

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, Airforce Stage Large-Scale Wargames

Tuesday, 6 November, 2018 - 11:00
Members of the Revolutionary Guards attend a commemoration of the Iranian Revolution (Reuters)
London - Asharq Al-Awsat
Air defense units of the Iranian army and the Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) staged a major joint military exercise on Monday, while the country’s Telecommunications Ministry announced the thwarting of a serious cyberattack.

The military drill took place in vast areas in the country’s north, center and west, over a field that is at least half a million square kilometers in size, the German news agency (DPA) reported.

The defense exercise includes forces from the Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base, the IRGC Aerospace Force and squadrons from the Air Force, Tasnim News Agency reported.

Tasnim also said that the drill saw the firing of upgraded version of US surface-to-air missiles acquired by Iran before the 1979 revolution.

The drill involved tactics to employ command and control systems to detect, track and intercept hostile targets, conducting air defense operations in electronic warfare, using passive aerial detection systems as well as air-based defense gear, including manned and unmanned aircraft and countering anti-radiation and cruise missiles.

The wargames were staged despite Iranian President Hasan Rouhani ruling out chances of a military confrontation with the United States.

Separately, Telecommunications Minister Mohammad Javad Azari-Jahromi accused Israel of launching a new cyber-attack on Iran's telecommunications network and promised to resort to legal action.

"The Zionist regime (Israel), with its record of using cyber weapons, such as Stuxnet computer virus, launched a cyber attack on Iran on Monday to harm its communication infrastructures," Azari-Jahromi said.

Last week, an Iranian official revealed that Tehran had detected a new generation of Stuxnet worms, which was used to target the country's nuclear program more than a decade ago.

"Thanks to our vigilant technical teams, it failed," he said on Twitter. Iran would take legal action against Israel at international bodies, he added, without giving details.

His deputy Hamid Fattahi said more details would be revealed in the coming days, Tasnim reported.

Stuxnet, which is widely believed to have been developed by the United States and Israel, was discovered in 2010 after it was used to attack a uranium enrichment facility at Iran's Natanz underground nuclear site.

In 2013, researchers at Symantec Corp uncovered a version of the Stuxnet that was used to attack the Iranian nuclear program in November 2007.

Tehran agreed under a 2015 deal with world powers to curb the program but President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of it in May, with Israel's backing. Washington fully restored sanctions on Tehran on Monday.

Editor Picks

Multimedia