Iranian Revolutionary Guards Chief: Tehran Not Seeking to Extend Missile Range

Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 17:45
Asharq Al-Awsat

The head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards announced on Tuesday that Tehran is not seeking to extend the range of its missiles beyond their 2,000 km reach.

Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said that the current range is enough to protect the country.

“We have the scientific ability to increase our missile range but it is not our current policy since most of the enemies’ strategic targets are already within this 2,000-km range. This range is enough to protect us...,” he was quoted as saying by Tasnim news agency.

Separately, Iran’s government again ruled out negotiations with US President Donald Trump over Tehran’s military capabilities and regional influence, saying that such talks would be against its values.

Trump withdrew the United States last month from the 2015 accord between Iran and world powers that curbed Tehran’s nuclear activity in exchange for sanctions relief.

Trump said the deal was deeply flawed as it had not curbed Iran’s ballistic missile program or reined in its support for proxies in conflicts in Syria, Iraq and Yemen, and said Washington would reimpose tough sanctions on Tehran.

Jafari said on Tuesday previous negotiations with the United States about Iran’s nuclear program were “an exception” and called Iranian politicians and activists who have favored fresh talks with Trump as “traitors and anti-revolutionaries”.

Read More ...