Macron Seeks Rescuing His Mediation in Libya by Calling for Holding Elections on Time

Macron Seeks Rescuing His Mediation in Libya by Calling for Holding Elections on Time

Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 12:15
Firefighters work to put out the fire of a storage oil tank at the port of Es Sider in Ras Lanuf. Reuters/Stringer
Cairo- Khalid Mahmoud
France on Monday sought to save its mediation efforts in Libya from collapsing.

French President Emanuel Macron stressed in a phone call with Head of Government of National Accord (GNA) PM Fayez al-Sarraj the need to commit to the outcomes of the conference held in Paris on May 29 on the preparation of a constitutional basis for parliamentary and presidential elections by December 10.

Libya’s Prime Ministry’s media office said the two reviewed bilateral relations in different fields, especially in the issue of illegal immigration, in addition to Macron’s reiteration of support for the strategy of the Presidential Council in limiting the flow of migrants.

France has sent official invitations to representatives of the city of Misrata, western Libya, to visit Paris and to discuss its initiative and political files in Libya.

The Muslim Brotherhood affiliated channel, al-Nabaa, said that Abu Qasim Qazit, a member of the Supreme Council of the State of Misrata, talked about the invitation of the French presidency to Misrata deputies and a number of political figures in the city.

He pointed out that the invitees are considering the invitation and have not yet determined their position.

He also explained that the deputies refused to accept the invitation of the previous Paris summit because they were given the status of observers instead of being key participants in the dialogue.

Meanwhile, Tripoli authorities issued an arrest warrant against Ibrahim al-Jadran, the leader of the armed militias who recently attacked the oil crescent region after the National Army announced that it was preparing to defeat them.

This coincided with the National Oil Corporation's (NOC) assertion that the attacks by the militias would cause hundreds of millions of dollars worth of losses.

NOC said storage capacity at Ras Lanuf port had been cut by 400,000 barrels after a second crude oil tank was set on fire amid fighting between rival factions for control of two key export terminals.

The NOC warned that the blaze that broke out at storage tank No. 2 early on Sunday could spread to three further tanks, which would “stop exports from Ras Lanuf port completely”.

Editor Picks

Multimedia