UN Envoy to Present Peace Plan on Yemen Before Mid-June

UN Envoy to Present Peace Plan on Yemen Before Mid-June

Wednesday, 16 May, 2018 - 06:30
Pro-government forces in southwestern Yemen. (AFP)
Jeddah, Sanaa, Taiz - Asmaa al-Ghaberi and Asharq Al-Awsat
UN Special Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths is planning to present the “general framework” of his peace plan on Yemen before mid-June and is looking forward to a formal re-launch of peace negotiations afterwards, a statement issued by the UN said on Tuesday.

“The Special Envoy is making good progress towards the production of a framework for negotiations as promised in his briefing to the UN Security Council in April. He plans to put that to the council in the first half of June,” the statement said.

It added, however: “We are all gravely concerned by the negative impact of the recent escalations of attacks on the political process.”

Griffiths reiterated his calls that all parties take urgent measures to de-escalate.

On the battlefield, official Yemeni sources reported on the collapse of the houthi militias on the Taiz front, adding that dozens of rebels have already surrendered to the Yemeni National Army.

Yemeni joined forces fighting on the west coastal have taken control of new areas in Hodeidah, killing and capturing dozens of Houthis, amid the fast deployment of resistance forces in the districts of al-Jarahi and Tahita.

Saudi-led Arab coalition jets backed the resistance forces in taking control of strategic sites and cutting off Houthi supply lines in the directorate of Hussainiya, Beit al-Faqih and Zabid.

Last week, the Tehami resistance, the “Giants Brigades” and the National Resistance led by Tareq Saleh mounted a joint large-scale military operation to liberate the governorate of Hodeidah from the Houthis.

Military sources close to Saleh’s forces said that the Yemeni joint forces continue to deploy in the directorate of Tahita, located to the north of the liberated al-Khawkha directorate. Those forces were also advancing in the nearby directorate of al-Jarahi, where a large number of Houthis were losing ground and abandoning their posts.

“In the past two days, the joint forces deployed in an area of 30 kilometers and were able to secure the areas of al-Fazah and al-Ghuweyrak. They are currently approaching the neighboring directorate of Zabid,” the sources added.

Editor Picks

Multimedia