Saudi Arabia Welcomes OIC’s Condemnation of Houthi Missile Strike against Riyadh

Saudi Arabia Welcomes OIC’s Condemnation of Houthi Missile Strike against Riyadh

Tuesday, 23 January, 2018 - 13:00
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz chairs a cabinet session in Riyadh. (SPA)
Asharq Al-Awsat
Saudi Arabia welcomed on Tuesday the Organization of Islamic Cooperation’s (OIC) condemnation of the Houthi militias’ failed ballistic missile strike against Riyadh last month.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz chaired a cabinet session in Riyadh during which ministers hailed the OIC foreign ministers for condemning “in the strongest of terms the Iran-backed Houthis for firing an Iranian-made ballistic missile against Riyadh on December 19, 2017.”

The cabinet described the incident as an attack against the Kingdom and evidence that the Houthis refuse to adhere to the international community and its resolutions.

They gatherers at the OIC meeting pledged to support Saudi Arabia in its fight against terrorism and anyone seeking to violate its security.

They also demanded that all member states of the organization take a united stand against the attack and those behind it.

Targeting the security of Saudi Arabia means targeting the security of the entire Muslim world, said the OIC ministers.

They also called on Iran to cease its meddling in the affairs of some regional countries, accusing it of fueling sectarianism and funding terrorist groups.

King Salman then briefed the ministers on the details of the message he received from Turkmenistan President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow.

Information Minister Awwad al-Awwad said that the cabinet discussed latest regional and international developments, including those in Yemen.

It hailed in that regard King Salman’s order to deposit $2 billion in Yemen’s central bank to aid the Yemeni people. This brings to $3 billion the total of bank deposits offered to the war-torn country.

The cabinet also welcomed the humanitarian operations plan that was unveiled on Monday to help Yemen. Foreign ministers of the Arab Coalition met in Riyadh to address Yemen, revealing that $1.5 billion will be allocated to ease the country’s humanitarian suffering.

Editor Picks

Multimedia